Cloud computing and its benefits for SMBs
Posted by: Golden Avenue Technology LLC | Date: 10 May 2019
What is CLOUD technology?
Compute Login Off-site Uploading Downloading
Cloud computing in business is becoming the new standard adopted by many SMBs. The cloud is completely changing the way in which businesses are operating today. In this digital age, cloud computing serves as an opportunity for small businesses to get access to high-end technologies, which was earlier limited only to large enterprises. Cloud computing enhances business productivity and efficiency and also offers a series of other benefits.
Cloud computing is nothing but using application programs, storing and accessing data over the Internet instead of on-premise hardware. Businesses use cloud computing to access information anywhere in the world with any compatible device. For small and midsize businesses (SMBs), the benefits of cloud computing are enormous. Cloud computing saves businesses, time and money by increasing productivity, improving alliances and promoting innovation.
Types of Cloud computing
There are 3 types of cloud computing.
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) is a service to provide virtual computing over the internet. It can be also described as Hardware as a service. The service provider gives businesses access to data storage space, servers, and network connections, without the need of businesses purchasing and managing this infrastructure themselves. IaaS provides the flexibility to a business to develop and grow on demand. Example of IaaS is Amazon EC2.
Platform as a Service (PaaS) model where a third party provider provides the hardware and software needed for application/product development purposes. You can activate your application with very little effort at a very minimal cost. This gives a business the opportunity to have a lean operations staff. This service is specifically provided for an applications/software developer. The drawback of using a PaaS Cloud provider is that these services may impose some restrictions that will not work with your product under any circumstances. Examples of a PaaS model are Mosso, Google App Engine.
Software as a Service (SaaS) is a service provided to businesses where software applications are run on computers belonging to the vendors but is made accessible for a nominal cost. This service reduces the burden incurred in buying expensive software individually by businesses. One familiar example is Gmail.
What are the main benefits of Cloud computing?
Pay per usage and upgrade infra any time according to usage.
- Cloud computing uses remote technology resources, thus saving organizations the cost of expensive servers and other hardware. Just like “utility” companies, users only pay for the resources they use.
- Cloud computing provides an opportunity for small businesses and consumers to use high-end technologies and applications without installation for a nominal fee. Cloud computing allows smaller companies to get access to some of the state-of-the-art tools and technologies, which were earlier afforded by large companies only. Now, even businesses can act faster and make it a tougher competition to the bigger organizations and successfully tackle the market.
- It allows individuals and businesses to access their personal files at any computer at any time with only internet access.
- With cloud computing, teams from different parts of the world can get access to the same document and data from anywhere and at any time. This creates better synergies and collaborations among employees and help them perform efficiently with zero errors. Also dependency on a single device is now a thing of the past since many businesses offer mobile applications which can be used to access the data from the phone.
- Cloud computing enhances business productivity, process efficiency and cash flow
- Data Security and data recovery are one of the main benefits of Cloud. Lost storage devices or laptops containing important business data can be a huge problem for companies and can cost a lot to the company to recover such lost data. But, when all the necessary data is stored in the cloud, it becomes easier to retrieve that data. As the cloud service providers store all the data in the cloud, there is no threat of data loss in case of emergencies. SMBs can't generally afford expensive disaster recovery systems. Cloud computing has helped such small and medium businesses to safeguard their data by providing cloud-based storage solutions.
- With cloud computing in business, companies do not have to worry about any updates to their software. The service providers managers all the latest software updates which are required to be completed and the time and money required for maintaining the servers and software are saved.
- Scalability is one of the key advantages of cloud computing. When a company is growing at a considerable rate, it becomes easy for them to quickly scale-up the services, using the cloud platform. Operational agility is one of the major business benefits of cloud computing which are welcomed by all businesses of the world.
In the past few years, we have seen a remarkable increase in the number of companies adopting cloud computing strategies. From using applications on individual local machines to now hosting it on a remote cloud location somewhere on the world map, companies have started reaping the benefits of using the same resource over the internet at a reduced cost and round the clock accessibility.
Golden Avenue Technology LLC can help evolve and scale your business and show you the benefits of Cloud Computing.